A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Mom's On Her Way

My mom's coming for the weekend. This means that Dr. Parts goes into a cleaning and repair frenzy. All of the messes that I've been looking at and projects requiring his help for the last vague period of time or so must now be done, at Dr. Parts' decree, by the time my mother arrives on the weekend.

Thanks, Mom! Can you be sure to drop by at least four times a year? I'd appreciate it. No, I'm not joking. No you don't hear any sarcasm. Truly. We love to see you, and the house has never looked better.

This does, however, mean less time to knit. I've not finished those last two Baby Surprise Jackets, but have made progress on the Fingerless Garter(stitch) Mitts.

Because Stephanie has made them look so cute, I was attracted to the Baby Kimono from Mason-Dixon Knitting. I went out and bought the book. At my LYS. I read the pattern. I thought to myself, "Well, I think I bought 3 balls of dishcloth cotton the last time I was over at that fabric store in Beaverton. I don't know which brand it is, but Stephanie says that the brand she used took 3 balls, and Ann & Kay say that their brand uses 2 balls to make the adorable baby kimono, so you're OK either way."

So, this morning I was AWAKE at 3:30 am. No particular reason. I could have used those hours to clean and organize, but no. I proceeded to my stash, cleverly stored in a plastic tub on the living room floor, which will be easily moved as the hours for Mom's arrival grows closer. I pulled out the cotton. It's the brand specified in the Mason Dixon book. It's a variegated: white with yellow, purple and blue. I got the needles. I stole away to the upstairs TV room/guest room/train room. I knitted. I have most of the back done and am about halfway through the casting on section for the arms. It is so cute. It is hard to resist. I can always give this one to Dorothy. It's much better than the Hippy Baby Sweater. I promise.

And here is the finished Hippy Baby Sweater:



The yarn goddesses gave us a nice solid blue stripe along the front edge which lays on top. This is, IMHO, very helpful in calming the whole thing down. It needs buttons, but that's all.

Life is good. And I get to see my mom soon. Hooray!



1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Yeah So said...

Can't wait to see it! They're addicting!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home