A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Weekend Recap

Mom's visit was great, even though we didn't get to go to a movie together. We chose a very popular movie and did not pre-purchase tickets. We decided to skip the 45-minute wait for seats in the next available show. The wait line snaked around the building in the sun, without benches.

I got to show off my collection of baby jacket projects. Mom was suitably impressed. I've got a great mom and we have a good relationship. I am so blessed.

I had a knitting growth moment. I was working along on my Mason-Dixon Baby Kimono and realized that I didn't think the body was long enough. So, I thought to myself, 'I can pull out the cast-on edge and knit some extra rows on the bottom.'

And I did.

I'm so impressed with myself.

It was in cotton, so the un-doing was not too tough. It was a long-tail cast-on, but I put the needle in one loop and pulled on the free end of the yarn and un-did it, stitch by stitch. Then, however, it took a little bit of attention to figure out which way to go and straighten out which stitches to work on the edges. Then I figured out that instead of knitting every row to complete my garter stitch pattern for this extra section, I would have to PURL every row. Go figure. I guess my removal of the cast-on row turned me around a bit. I could have taken out a second row, I think, or started the yarn on the other end to go back to knitting, but I'm pretty happy with my purl stitch. Purling is fine.

So I did. I purled an extra 8 rows or so, and I'm much happier with the length of the body. It was gonna look like a baby shrug, if I didn't.

Dr. Parts is going on a camp-out with his nuts & bolts buddies this weekend. I'll have lots of time to knit.

1 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Yeah So said...

Wow you're pretty brave. I would've frogged the damn thing. Glad it all worked out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home