A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Fantasies

I found out today that local yarn store Lint is for sale.

I'm now having Owning-A-Yarn-Store fantasies.

I'm really much too matronly for Lint, though. Too Eddie Bauer and L L Bean, not nearly hip enough. Too fat, not nearly thin enough for Lint. Also, I despise their little knitted toys and the knitted food items. I'm sure I wouldn't be a great match for much of Lint's existing clientele.

I'd also work really hard on the customer service skills of their existing employees. Or just fire them. Too much chatting behind the desk, and often with a negative or gossipy tone. Not always a pleasant store to visit.

But they have great yarn, which I have enjoyed a lot, and I can visit them on my lunch hour, and there is SO MUCH new home & condo construction being nearby, I can see some great potential there. I like their emphasis on natural fibers and organic yarns. And I've had the best class experiences there of any local yarn store that I've ever been to. Their website is excellent, and their on-line class listing is perfection. I LOVE that I can quickly tell which classes are full or over (done), and focus on the ones that are in the future or still have available seats.

I wish Melissa the best of luck with her sale, and in her future life.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Shelly said...

Hi, just found your blog from teh PDX Knitter's site. I think I was sitting near your at Stephanie's author appearance, just down the row and across an 18 inch aisle. I kept looking at that wonderful baby, too, and I really admired the mom for getting out so soon. I think I was still in OMG mode at that point post-pregnancy. But then I had two. Boys. Yikes.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Heh. Thanks, Shelly. He's my second, so I was pretty much able to take it in stride--I think. Well, that and the fact that I know the Harlot is very baby-friendly. :)

It was good to see you again, Lori! I hardly, okay, never make it out to Tangle anymore. But I've got a gift certificate to spend, so I need to make the trip sometime soon. I mean, gee, it's free yarn!

Glad you had fun and met someone new to boot! Weird to hear about Lint being for sale. Hope someone takes her up on it. Seemed like a neat shop when we were on the shop hop.
--Amanda

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

I share your fantasy about Lint -- and your loathing of the knitted food items. :) I've only been in the shop once, though, so don't have an opinion one way or the other on the rest. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to work around yarn all the time? Well, the realities of really running a shop are probably different, but a girl can dream! :)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

I love Lint. I'm sorry to hear it closed (?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home