A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

White kittens, white knitting.


Well, I had a lovely post all ready to go, but Blogger experienced a problem and I lost all that brilliance. Alas.

Let me sum up.

We have five foster kittens at our house and their mother, who is named Precious. These are two of them wandering through the empty IKEA cd racks on the living room floor. Three of this litter are white (or nearly all white) males. The other two are tabbys, both female. They are delightful but rapidly approaching the manic phase of kittenhood, which generally lasts from the age of eight weeks to two or three years. They will soon go to the Oregon Humane Society (www.oregonhumane.org - must learn how to do a real link soon) for their spay/neuter operations and be available for adoption.

No really, there are two kittens in the photo. The second one is under the table, facing the camera, and reaching out his little white paw to tap at the one fleeing the paparazzi in the front.

I have cast on the fourth Baby Surprise Jacket. It is a white acrylic, for convenience sake, and I'll decorate it with some yarn I have in my stash. The stash yarn is also white acrylic with little foofy pastel chenille puffs attached. They stripe OK and I'm liking the added flair they give an otherwise plain little piece. This jacket is my official knit-for-class jacket for my BSJ class with one of my favorite LYS, Knit-Purl (www.knit-purl.com). The class is fabulous, and I am adoring the teacher, Judy, who knits quite well. I even got good diabetes advice after the knitting portion of the class.

In the evening, I was working along on my Leigh Radford One Skein Fingerless Garter(stitch) Mitts. I was admiring my work, and noticed a hole in my knitting. Aaarrrrgggh! I examined it more closely. This pattern has elongated stitches, with extra wraps. I thought perhaps it was an unintential yarnover. But no-it's a dreaded dropped stitch! I captured the little loop with a locking stitch holder and have set it aside for the time when I feel capable of repairing this piece. Remember, it's on teeny size ZERO needles, and the yarn is basically a navy. I may need to purchase one of those magnifying lamps that I see clamped to the desks of artisans and persons older than me.

1 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger janna said...

Can the white kittens hear? When I was a kid, we had several blue-eyed white cats (all related, of course) who were all deaf.....

And to make a 'real link' on blogger -- highlight the word that you want to link, then click on that icon at the top of the box that looks like a link (or two) of chain. A box will appear where you can type in the address you're linking to. Let me know if this doesn't make sense....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home