A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Red Scarves

I am very enthused about this project calling for red scarves for older foster children in the USA. The group, the Orphan Foundation of America, supports foster children as they transition into young adulthood.

When I think back to my late teens and early twenties, I remember how much support, financial and emotional, that I got from my parents and my family. I cannot imagine how tough that time might be without strong support and good financial resources.

My mother wrote to me faithfully when I was in college. With each letter, she included a two-dollar bill. To this day, I smile when I see a two-dollar bill, because it reminds me of my mother's faithful love.

The Orphan Foundation of America (hate the name, btw) sends out care packages to the former foster kids in the month of February to remind them that they matter, that they are cared about, and to encourage them to keep going.

Any knitter worth her salt can knit a scarf. Knit a red one and send it to the nice folks who will send it on to these hardworking kids. They've overcome so much already. Help them keep going just a little longer.

Scarves are fun. They're short projects. I found some cool red yarn with pink flecks in it, so I'll knit a scarf for a girl. I went looking for some burgundy, and happened upon some superwash merino. How scrumptious. That will make up into a nice thick ribbed scarf for some young man.

A lot of charity projects leave me cold. But not this one. I wonder if they'll let me send a two-dollar bill with them....

2 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

I think you can send a card, and if a $2 bill happened to find it's way into a card, well, who's to know?

I used to work in a group home with teen girls and saw a few "graduate" at age 18, with Hefty bags full of belongings and very little support. Knitting a scarf is such a small thing, but it'll mean a lot to these kids. Good for you for joining up!

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have a KNITTING BLOG...you rule, yes you do

 

Post a Comment

<< Home