A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

I have seen the Harlot


Stephanie Pearl-McPhee spoke at Powells (on Hawthorne) last night. She was very funny, as one would expect, and quite gracious. Look, there she is in the awful photo, behind the large red vase with sunflowers in it. She signed my book.

I sat with some very cool knitters, including Carrie who blogs, or used to, as Outfoxed Knitting, and Kathy who blogs as Vast Amounts of Spare Time. I think that's a bit of sarcasm, as she is the mother of two small boys. Cheri, of the Naked Sheep Knit Shop, was also there, beautiful and gracious, as always. She had a friend, Kathy, I think, with her, and another friend who blogs at Bipurler Disorder whose real first name I have already misplaced. She's great though, very funny, and helpful. Other bloggers were there too, including Bulldog Knits (she's great, and got some great photos, too), and Chrissy, wearing her MomMA shirt-you gotta support that. (I don't think that I've actually met Katrina yet, though.)

I got done several inches of the Baby Albert Jacket. Because of my painful feet, I arrived very early and planted my butt in the seats. The place filled up, and many latecomers had to stand. When she was done with her very funny speech, Stephanie signed books. I couldn't stand in line, so I waited until the line was down to the very end. This was about 9:30 pm.

The store closed at 9:00. The Powell's employees were obviously not happy about the scheduling and were eager for us to leave. Many knitters there said that they had warned Powells about the small venue and the large number of knitters to be expected. Alas. Perhaps next time all will plan better, both in terms of space and scheduling of time.

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Hi there! It was so nice meeting you last night. Glad to have found your blog, and happy to talk knitting while we were waiting :-)

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger knittinmom said...

Hey! It was great to meet you on Wed - was that a great time or what?

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Lori-
Thanks for helping to score us such great seats to see the Harlot! Wasn't it funny how those Powell's people personified -- to a tee - Stephanie's "Muggles?" They just didn't get it!

Thanks for the link on your blog! See you 'round the Naked Sheep!
-Carolyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home