A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Clapotis, at last!

I have spent waaaaay too much money on yarn.

Hey, it's Christmastime. Merry Christmas to me. I'm getting my husband a 37" LCD high definition television for Christmas. He's getting me....wait for it...the wall-mounting, cables, and other accessories for the new tv. Hoooray. Well, I do spend a lot of time in front of the tv, and much of that time, I knit. That's enough justification on that subject.

I have made progress on the sleeves on beloved BabyGirl's sweater. (That would be Emily, also known as Emi-Jean.)

Her father has requested that I make them long enough to tie in the back. Yes, a la 'straitjacket'. He's also requested that I make such a garment in adjustable sizes that she'll be able to wear until she's five or six. Sorry, J, it's not five or six that you really need to worry about; it's fifteen or sixteen. Then we'll see who has how much gray hair. And by then, she'll be choosing her own sweaters.

I have purchased three different types of yarn for the red scarf project for foster kids. Former foster kids. Young adults, really. One scarf is burgundy, for a male, one is red & pink, for a girl, and one is green camo colored, for a male, I think. I'm having fun with stitch patterns on these. I think I'll do the burgundy one in basketweave. It's either that or plain rib.

I also purchased all the Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb yarn that is needed to knit the famous Clapotis. I've knit about 4 inches in it, so no ladders yet. I love the texture of the yarn. I'm not so sure about the Watercolor colorway that I chose.

I did go to Abundant Yarn & Dyeworks for a drop in Saturday UFO class. You should have seen the looks I got at work after that phone call. "Hello, I want to come to the UFO class on Saturday. Do I need to pay for that in advance?"

Suddenly, people in adjacent cubbies stand up and look at me. Ha, what do they know? UFOs are everywhere. Pat was great, and very helpful. Also, very nice fellow-knitters.

I think that I will like the Clapotis in the Watercolor colorway, it's just a rather bold choice for me. I'm usually so monochromatic.

Judy has promised to notify me for her next socks-on-two-circular-needles-from-the-toe-up-using-Judy's-magic-cast-on class at Tangle. (Minor whine: I do wish Tangle had a better website. I'm so internet dependent, and I love browsing classes & events all over my fair city from my own desk. Can't do it for them. I have to schlep all the way south to that city, go in, and even then, if a sub's behind the desk, you may not get accurate info. Love the store, love the knitters, but the flow of information is less than ideal. It looks like they're making progress on it though!)

I am knitting in the evenings. There is progress. The loops go through loops and the bumps fall either to the front or the back. Life is good.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information you gave on Oregon. I visited my daughter (in Corvallis) for Thanksgiving and we spent a couple days exploring Portland using some of the information you gave. I am already looking forward to my next visit, Portland is a wonderful city. I told my daughter that maybe next year for Thanksgiving they could just meet me in Portland and we could spend the entire time there (spending Thanksgiving day helping to feed the homeless/hungry).

BTW I also participate in the red scarf project, I love this knitting project. You are ahead of me I haven't purchased yarn for it this year. I am going to Billings, MT on Tuesday hoping to find a yarn store with some wonderful red yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home