A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Satisfaction

I got the STR package. Don't want to spoil anything. No photos here. There are plenty of spoilers elsewhere, which I have already seen. I don't mind a small peek ahead.

I've glanced at the sock pattern, and am just so impressed with myself. I am impressed with myself because I understood the pattern. I read it, and I understood most of the terms and how it would work to create a wearable sock.

My knitting education is coming right along. I owe it all to Judy. She only taught me one way to create socks, but she also gave me the confidence to proceed in all circumstances. Knit on!

I am now thinking about short-row toes. It might work. It might not. I could always do the standard toe that Judy taught me (although garterstitch in the round is not something I have attempted). We shall see. I'm probably going to save the RSC skein for socks for my husband and use a purchased STR skein for creating the RSC pattern socks for me.

I'm also thinking about the crochet cast on for those first stitches. You have to go back to them. Hmmm. Isn't there a cast-on where you cast-on around a piece of waste yarn, or, perhaps, around an unused circular needle cable? Then you wouldn't have to move the stitches back onto the circular needle. If you use it. I'll have to poke around (maybe some place like this) and find that one again.

The Ebay people still owe me the Mon Tricot book. Perhaps tomorrow.

I'm much less antsy now. You could get in my way and I wouldn't scream.

You see, I'm working on courtesy and positive emotional environments. It's my little pitch to improve the world.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your STR came! I think they were shipped alphabetically. Otherwise why would I have gotten mine so far ahead of you? (I'm a "B" last name.)

I don't think I'm going to knit that pattern. But I'd love to see yours if you do.

Brenda Dayne of Cast-On uses the magic cast-on to do short row toes, which I think is absolutely brilliant.

For example, if the short-row toe directions say to crochet a chain and pick up 15 stitches, Brenda does a magic cast-on of 30 stitches on two needles (15 on each needle). She starts knitting her short rows back and forth on the first needle and short rows back up (I hope this is making sense). Then when she gets back up to the top, to start knitting in the round she simply turns and knits across the stitches that were cast on to the second needle.

It's really late and I'm afraid that didn't make much sense. But if you'd like me to take a better stab at it just holler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home