A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Monday, July 24, 2006

When the knitting gets hot...


...the tough go out into the woods to knit.


This is the view I had from my camp chair. This is the Salmonberry river, as it flows through Oregon's Tillamook Forest.

Dr. Parts found this place. It's only a few hours from our home. You drive about halfway on normal, standard, civilized highways, with pavement and signs and fast food and convenience stores. Then you head off into the forest and drive the rest of the way on gravel and dirt roads, without signs and without seven eleven stores.

This river is small, by northwest standards, but the location is lovely. It has some delightful pools which I waded into. That mountain chilled water helps cool the body and refresh the spirit. We got there at about 2:30 pm and stayed until about 8 pm.

I knit several rows on my gift project. It's for my One Skein Secret Pal. It's not wool or acrylic, so it was fine to knit on hot summer days. Dr. Parts and Snickers wandered around and explored the nearby rail tracks. (You knew there had to be a railroad connection.)

We also practiced with the firearms. I think my husband was suitably impressed. This was my first time firing a handgun. I must say, my husband owns a very large handgun. I hit the target several times with the .22 rifle, but didn't hit it at all with the very large handgun. He says I got close enough, but I would certainly require more practice with the handgun.

There were nasty biting flies, but we had repellant and protective clothing, so we did okay. The temperature in Portland over the last three days has been exceptionally high, which I find particularly unpleasant. The weather forecast says that the overnight temperatures should return to a more normal range today or tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it. The knitting fares much better when it's cool.

Old Business: yes, I did offer my North Neighbor a small cash amount for the orange plastic & metal swift she had out in the garage sale junk pile. So I now own a swift. I used it to help wind the ball from which I was knitting out on the Salmonberry River.

Dr. Parts took the photo above, and he also took a photo of my knitting.

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Yeah So said...

Sound like it was a great time, the place looks beautiful. Although I can't quite get the visual with the handguns...were you guys just like randomly shooting things with guns? Are you allowed to do that?

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said...

Dr. Parts set up targets on a fallen log across the river. The canyon on that side rises steeply, so our shooting practice was very safe. And yes, you can do that. (You probably wouldn't believe how many people around here just LOVE to do that!) We did not aim randomly. We did not shoot at living things. There was no vodka or other intoxicants. The dog got bored and napped on her blanket. Dr. Parts, in part, wanted to check on my gun safety knowlege. 'Course, now he wants to have me own my own handgun. Eye roll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home