A Knit Decision

Knitting in Oregon, with other stuff, too, such as crochet, cats, dogs, history, fashion, highly opiniated rants, reading, diabetes, church, life in general, etc. I like circular needles, prefer natural yarns, don't spin, choose small projects, and don't have any one favorite yarn store. I love them all.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Buttons, Bags & Tiles

I don't like to sew on buttons. I don't think I'm doing it right on my knitted baby sweaters. I'll have to check my reference materials to see if anyone tells me how to do such a simple thing as sewing on a button.

I am going to have to seek Judy's help. I want to learn to do her magic cast-on and do a toe-up sock, knit two-at-a-time on two circular needles. I hang out at her blog (a lot) and have read her instructions on her magic cast on, but so far, have not managed to do it successfully. So, in the meantime, using dishcloth cotton yarn, I'm practicing other styles of toe-up cast-ons, making drawstring bags to use to store dominos and other game parts.

I'm a big fan of having the board game pieces stored in wonderfully appropriate bags. You should see the Scrabble people. They have such rules about the bags for storing the Scrabble tiles. See this link for a fabric bag (look, it's just like a sock toe!) . BTW, I love the Scrabble people. They're a little nutty, but I fit right in. And no, I don't have all the two-letter words memorized.

And, the thing is, the rules work! If the bag prevents you from cheating, you can focus on the game without worrying about whether you saw the tile, 'brailled' the tile, or chose a tile at random appropriately, and you can stop worrying about whether your opponent will either.

So far, my tile bag sucks, I think because I placed my increases randomly around the bag, so I have corners. Corners can hide tiles. Maybe this bag will be for RummiKube or dominos.

I may have to stalk Judy again by hanging out at Tangle and getting her to show me her cast-on on person. Or maybe I can keep practicing and I'll figure it out myself.

I have buttons to sew on, in the meantime.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger Yeah So said...

I had to ask my MIL to show me how to sew a button. Not so hard once someone shows you. I never tried a toe up sock, not sure if I would mind it going against the formula I originally learned. I want to learn 2 socks at the same time using magic loop. I'll let you know how it goes...and I suck at Scrabble.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to show you any time! I'm at Tangle most Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons. Not this coming Thursday, though, because I'll be out of town. But if I'm not there, Alice can show you. Check before you go to make sure she's there. Alice is great for helping with things like sewing on buttons, too. (I probably do it wrong.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home